Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Trip to Giant Eagle Felt Like Stealing

I didn't get anything from the Giant Eagle ad last week.  Giant Eagle gets a little confusing to me because it is the only store that I go to with an ad that starts on Thursday instead of Sunday like the rest of them.  Regardless, as I posted last week there just wasn't anything there that warranted a trip.  This week, I was able to use the $18 I earned buying diapers.  Using this and my coupons allowed me to walk out of Giant Eagle with bags full of food for only $11.04!!  On top of that I earned $5.00 toward my next order.

Order Summary
Spent:  $11.04
Saved:  $47.08
$5 earned toward my next order
Used:  $18 earned from my last trip
Purchased:
1 box of Uncrustables
10 boxes of Yoplait GoGurt
5 boxes Kellogg's Chocolate Mini-Wheats Little Bites cereal
2 packs of Vanity Fair napkins
2 packs of Vanity Fair plates
1 pack of Dixie plates
1 pack of Dixie napkins
3 boxes of Splenda (with fiber)
1 French's mustard
1 bag of frozen spinach

You might think 10 boxes of GoGurt is excessive, but my kids eat the stuff like crazy. Evan loves them frozen and probably eats 2-6 of them a day.  Jason said Evan was mad while I was at the store because we were out of GoGurts.  Now our freezer and fridge are fully stocked. 

I hadn't planned on purchasing more cereal unless the price was exceptionally low, however Jason tried a box of the Chocolate Little Bites last week and loved them.  As I was going through the coupons in this weeks paper I saw that they had $2.00 off two boxes and $1.00 off one box.  I had two sets of coupons (thanks Granny) so I used 2 $2.00 and 1 $1.00 at Giant Eagle where the cereal was 5 for $10. This made them $1 a box.  Not as good as $0.50 per box I had a Target the other week, but Jason will be leaving for Atlanta again and I thought it would be nice for him to take his new favorite cereal with him.  I am sure he knows I would DIE if he went to the grocery in Atlanta and spent the usual $3-$4 for a box of cereal. 

The purchase of 3 boxes of Splenda is how I earned $5 toward my next order.  Splenda was on sale 3 for $10 or $3.33 each, plus you earned $5 toward your next order if you purchased 3.  I had $1.00 off coupons so I used 3 of them.  This made the Splenda $2.33 a box or $6.99. After the $5 earned, I was able to purchase 3 boxes of Splenda for $1.99. 

The spinach was on sale for $1.00, I had $0.50 off so it was free after the coupon was doubled.  The napkins and plates were on sale 2 for $4.  We only use paper plates for parties, but I usually end up running to the store a few days before the party and spending full price for them. With a little advance planning, I was able to purchase them for $1.00 a pack since I had $0.50 off coupons for the Vanity Fair plates and napkins. I saved even more on the Dixie plates and napkins since my coupon for both of those was $0.55 and it was doubled to $1.10. 

GoGurt was 3 for $6 or $2 each.  I had two different kinds of coupons.  There were 4 $1.10 off of Simply GoGurt and 6 $0.40 off of one GoGurt.  I wasn't sure if Simply GoGurt was included in the sale, thankfully it was.  I used my 4 $1.10 coupons so those 4 packs were $0.90 each.  The 6 $0.40 were doubled so I got $0.80 off each pack which made them $1.20 each. 

To add to my savings I now have $0.80 off per gallon of gas at Get Go.  Fuel perks are earned more slowly when I use my coupons because it take me a lot longer to spend $50 when I only spend $10-$20 a week in groceries at Giant Eagle.  I still take advantage of the gift cards they offer and am sure to purchase them there whenever I need them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment